Thursday, April 10, 2008

An Update

After eating only raw food for six days, I ate two meals of cooked food this past Sunday. Boy, the warmth and saltiness of that China Star garlic broccoli was delicious, but within a few minutes my nose started running and phlegm began collecting in the back of my throat. Gross but true.

That evening we also had dinner plans with my father and his lady-friend visiting from downtown Chicago. She'd been craving a Sonic burger (I don't know why), so they they picked up salty french fries and hamburgers for our fam. I ate it out of social niceness, but about a quarter of teh way through my Sonic burger I realized that there was absolutely nothign about it that appealed to me other than its temperature. I stopped eating, but my nose started running again.

Since Sunday I've eaten only raw food except for a cooked sweet potato, which is actually not wise to eat raw due to the enzymes it contains that work against digestion. I was pretty excited about it, pulled it hot from the microwave, drizzled olive oil and sprinkled salt on it. But with the first bite, somethign about it just didn't quite meet my expectations. I can't explain it other than it tasted dead, and by this point, I was so used to eating thigns that were alive, or at least not-dead, that I could tell a difference. It didn't call to me the way a sweet potato normally would. I never thought I'd get here, but I'm actually craving salads these days and can't wait for the farmer's market to open next month with fresh, local veggies.

The one downside to all of this is that I feel unusually tired, so tired I am inclined to nap in the middle of the day for hours at a time. I hope this changes soon, because my life can't sustain all this rest. I've read snippets here and there that this may be normal--that my body is "cleansing" itself of all is stored toxins, which results in us feeling exhausted. Nobody ever said cleaning house was easy, I guess.

Tonight is dinner with dad and lady-friend again. We're eating steak, and mine's going to be the rarest piece of meat I've ever put in my mouth. I've recently learned that some raw foodists (like Carol Alt) eat all sorts of meat and fish as long as its smoked or seared on the outside to kill bacteria. We'll see how that goes...

2 comments:

Brie Walter said...

Heather, do you eat much sushi on this new diet of yours? It might help with some energy boosting...or maybe you've already tried it.

Heather Weber said...

I have tried "rare" salmon from a restaurant with sushi-grade salmon. They seared the outside of the salmon and left the inside raw. It was pretty darn good.

H