Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Up-Side to Freedom

So, the whole no-rules thing is something I"m really digging about this new raw food way of life. Because of that, it's not a problem that my husband is currently buying me cheesecake at the Co-op (or that I ate a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner).

One thing I keep reading on raw food sites is that you shouldn't try to go completely raw until you know what you're doing. Otherwise, you're gonna wind up hungry and staring at the food dehydrator while you wait for your avocados to ripen. So, until I get the hang of things, I'm gonna give myself some slack.

The sad truth about my body is that it was actually craving McDonald's tonight. Now, normally, I HATE McDonalds--even in my non-raw state the idea of a meal there grosses me out. But tonight, I could almost taste the saltiness of a hot Filet-O-Fish. I've also been craving the cheesecake all day. I'm curious to know why this is happening now, after a few days of being mostly raw, that I'm craving junk. Some web sites call this "detox"--you feel tired, fatigued, craving cooked foods. It has felt a little like I've been fasting lately, even though I eat when I'm hungry. I've been more tired than usual, cranky, listless. But I'm told all this is supposed to go away eventually, that I will at some magical point in time, cross over into a realm of physiological bliss, vamped up on carrot juice and parsley.

1 comment:

Laura E. said...

Heather, I have a blogging topic request.

Can you fill us in on what eating raw means, and maybe how it's beneficial? Do you only eat whole foods that are uncooked?

:)