Monday, March 31, 2008

Raw Hummus Nori Rolls and Wheatberry Sprouts: Will Raw Rub off on my Family?

Today's lunch was freaking unbelievable. I had little hope that the home-made raw tahini would work out, not to mention the raw hummus. But they both did. The raw hummus was a combo of tahini (made out of soaked sesame seeds) and zucchini. The recipe I followed called for 1/2 a TBS of cumin and sea salt, resulting in something truly fabulous and spicy. I've eaten about 95% raw for the last 36 hours, and I feel great. In fact--I do not lie!--I literally felt a surge of energy after eating that hummus. A cumin buzz, maybe?

But as I was layering hummus on my seaweed wrap, sprinkling wheatberry sprouts and arranging lettuce leaves before wrapping them up, I felt a flash of sadness that I haven't found anything yet I could share with my family. The homemade hummus is too spicy for the little girls, and the husband probably wouldn't go for anything containing seaweed. I keep reading about the amazing health benefits of going raw, and I think about my little girl who has seasonal allergies from spring till fall. What if all the fresh food and enzymes helped her body cope better during those seasons? It's been known to happen to others who have suffered from auto-immune disorders like allergies.

I think I'll have to woo the girls. And the first line of wooing will call for somethign sweet. Already, I've got my sights set on raw cocoa powder and raw chocolate nibs. Apparently, I can "cook" up a mean mock cookie-dough recipe with some sesame seeds and chocolate. Today, for the first time, I put a salad in my daughter's lunch box at school. "I didn't ask for that!" she cried when I told her I packed it. It was true. She did not ask. But I"m goign to be persistent in presenting her with fresh, raw options. Yet, I wont' force her to consume anything. Maybe, over time, enough raw chocolate, raw agave nectar, and raw honey will draw her over to the "raw side."

Now in regard to my husband, I have little hope. But dreams do come true.

No comments: